Friday, January 20, 2012

A gay play for my bday


Well, look at that, another birthday is here. I fail to understand why people fear aging, since we all need to get there eventually. But since I am still considered youthful, my opinion on this subject isn't valid yet. A lot of people under 21 think that I'm getting long in the tooth, and I enver thought that for a minute when I was young. Seriously, get a grip.
Anyway, For my birthday, Mum and Greg took me out for a stage performance and dinner. This would be the third year in a row that I have gone to see a stage play for Midsumma but only two have been for my birthday. No matter. This one was entitled 'MotherSON' and tells the story of a Jewish mother and son as the mother comes to grips with her sons' sexuality. She works out over time the situation around her and becomes the front-runner of pride marches.
American jewish award-winning actor and writer Jeffrey Solomon plays off his comedic monologue with a lot of skill. It does go on for an hour and a bit, but with all the laughs, giggles and underlying sadness, you really do lose track of it all. The acting was excellent, considering that a lot of it is him talking to himself between two phones. The other good point is that there is a lot of self reflection for both characters to be portrayed at once, and the writing is careful enough to display that. There isn't just a sudden revbolation, it takes a lot of effort over a long period of time (several years in fact). I did give it a bit of a minus for not giving a little more umph where it needed it at serious points (which i can't say for plot-spoiling) but at the end of the day, I had an excellent time. Rating: 4.5 rainbow pflags
Dinner wasn't too bad either. I had the mild curry duck with raviolli (?) with salad and calimari on the side. It was supposed to be an entree, but was not ordered as such and therefore I got two things at once.
Mum and Greg also got me some nice blue shirts for my birthday (2 polos and a nice sweater) as well as an external harddrive. Now I can compress my DVD shelf into one place, and loaning movies means I can keep them if I like them. Mwahaha! It has a lot of memory, so it wopn't be a problem holding everything. I just need to organise them into place. Won't that be fun? Gonna have to call in an expert to help me get started.
Now, tomorrow I have a small party (about five, including myself) and I doubt a lot will happen then. Saturday is a DnD party at Livs and that will be fun. After that, I think I am done for the year. no big whoop, just friends.
I set a challenge, and boy did I ask for it. On my facebook, I have asked people ot to be dull in wishing me a happy birthday, and so far I have had some interesting replies. It is still early in the day, but I will post the best ones on a blog here with personal thanks to the people who posted/sent them. It will be intereting.
Thank you Mum and greg for a gorgious night out, I had a wonderful time. Now, a midnight snack and then bed,
Pez

No comments:

Post a Comment