Friday, January 6, 2012

Party Popers


In the past 24 hours, I have discovered there are two types of party poopers. In short, people that, either by intent or blind chance, bring yuo down like a brick in a river. And while many more come to mind, I am presently going to rant about the two I encountered.

Disorganised Hosts/esses; Seriously, I have been throwing parties for years now and I know both the importance of being organised and prepared and improvising when the memory fails. Last night, my friend Nick celebrated his 23rd Birthday at the Cassablancas in Mitcham. I generally avoid the place because I am so unwanted at the karaoke, it only needs to be said to my face. But I care a lot about Nick (Happy Birthday if you are reading sweets) and I told myself I would grit my teeth and go and make the best of the night. Ripping my toenail before I left was a good sign to the beginning of a bad night. I was happy to talk to Nick for a bit and some other people I was aquainted with, but over all I didn't know a lot of people. I put my name down four times on the pad, knowing how the system here works. Instead of organising it so everyone gets at least one song before anyone gets a second, the hostess just goes from top to bottom, and it doesn't matter who ahs how many turns, it is just easier and less calculating. This is a seriously unfair system.
Following that, the hostess had a half hour break when the venue was at its fullest. The break went for half an hour and in that time half the guests left and those who remained were half-hearted. If she had just had a fast cigarette and quickly done what needed to be done at the bar, she would have been back in 10 and the show would have been great. Futher mismanagement was presented by KNOWING the party was on and still only having one person behind the bar. She didn't geta break at all by my notes. Nick was devistated at how badly the night went and felt really bad for the people who had come so far to have fun. I'm glad the night wasn't a total waste for him in that he caught up with a lot of people and got a few gifts (I knw, my bad, but you loved it). That is one type of party pooper, a disorganised half-arsed hostess.

Clamp-minded emails Despite being tired from last night and not getting a lot of sleep (and not from lack of trying) I had a productive day at work, I caught up with a friend on the way home, my plans for some things were advanced and I have a nice dinner lined up. The last thing I wanted to read was ANOTHER ant-muslim email. I realise the situation is pecarious, in that we accept many asylum seekers on our tax money and they are treated better than our lower class citizens, but why don't you d something proactive about it rather than bitch in chainmails? Or more effectively, find another view point or be positive.
I don't have an answer to the asylum seeker problem, if I class it as that, because my mind is torn between being humane and being fair. Can't kill them, sending them back just sees them do a u-turn, having problems deporting(?) them elsewhere, so what should we do? Our present answer is not correct, because I can think of better uses for that money, but bitching about it without giving an alternative is not going to work either. The sender knows who they are, and I ask them very nicely, no more please. I am well aware of the situations of the world without having to read about them at the end of the day. I have the national news for that.

So, now that I feel a bit better about things, I am going to sign off for tonight. I have a lot happening next week, it is going to be big, and as far as my notes go, I am pretty busy right up until Sunday week, with this Sunday being the only one that will be a quiet day. Oh well, wrk and pay make many-a fun day,
Perry

No comments:

Post a Comment