Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's the Twelth day, drag them down already!

If I was going to be sorry, i'd say so.
Well, today is the Fifth of January, and because of that, it is officially the twelth day of Christmas. Didn't you know? the original twelve days of Christmas are not the twelve days leading up to but the twelve days are from the 25th until the 5th. In the original tradition of Christmas, you put all the decorations up on Christmas Eve to mark the celebration of the birth, and then celebrate Christmas and all the jazz, and then when the fifth comes around, today, it marks the day the three wise men rocked up and gave three otherwise useless gifts to a baby who wouldn't be able to use them until they had either gone off or lost value. So on the fifth, the same day mary and Joseph fled from Herrad, we take down our decorations and get on with our lives.
Why am I telling you this? because the more excentric of us still have all the lawn decorations out and it is just not needed. how many Santa's can appear in one front lawn. best record so far is 4. I don't know either. I ust don't want to be the one getting the bill for all of that. It is officially, by and large, over for another 11 months. Thank you so much!
I was actually reading into the history of the twelve days of Christmas, and there is quite an interesting tale surrounding it. The twelve days was written in England in the 1700's when the Church of England was growing in power and had outlawed a lot of Christmas things. So for the Christians, Catholics, etc, who were left behind, they had to hide their religion. The twelve days of Christmas was invented as a game and a rhyme to help children remember different things about the bible. For example, the four colly (not calling) birds, a less common name for blackbirds, reminded you that there were 4 horsemen of the appocolypse. The game was basically a preset version of "I'm going on a picnic and I'm taking..."
But I don't really care about all that. I prefer the Twelve Daze of Christmas which would probably be more fun if I could drink str8 alcohol.
In responce to my last blog, I'm feeling a bit more myself since spending time with friends who aren't demanding on my time, and are happy for me to do my own thing without asking too much. I hope my batteries are recharged because I'm back in the field on Thursday, but have the healing circle happening on Saturday, so that'll be a nice little in between.
Best news of the so-far week is that I now have my own Play Station 3. got it cheap, and it had a lot of my game memory on it, so I am over the moon. So I now have my PS3, a few games (some I am really looking forward to playing) and that patiently awaits me on Sunday. Whether I am that patient is a different matter, but I'm sure I'll survive.
Until next time, let us get this new year on the road,
pez

No comments:

Post a Comment