Saturday, January 30, 2010

At the Theatre


One of the few pleasures I have is going to the theatre to see a wonderful performance. Since, as far as I am concerned, these are few and far between, or I can't afford it. But when a friend has a lead role in a modern and homosexual take of Romeo and Juliet (now Julian) I had to go and see it. My friend, Daryl, had the lead role of Julian, and I promised I would go and see how he went. He confessed to me a long time ago that he was nervous as an actor, so I gave him a little gift to aid him in his confidence building. When he told me he got the role he wanted, that was enough to make me proud of him. But one can't really be proud until one sees a camped up version of Shakespeare.
The play was basically divided into two parts. Before Romeo and Julian have a bonk (which was quite graphic but sensored) it was rather slapstick and modernised. With such lines as "Facebook me!" and "He probably doesn't love you because you buy your clothes form Target." But afterwards, it gets very detailed on the rougher side of family life with Julian's parents being unaccepting. The only minor difference is Julian lives.
While I was thinking Daryl had been given a part close to his personality, I had a good hint that there were rougher scenes. When those scenes came about, it was well acted. The fighting was brilliant and the acting was really believeable and brought about a sense of sadness and anger. Well done Daryl, you have done your best in this. Mind you, through all the kissing scenes, I was so envious!
Enough theatre reviews from me, I've got an extra picture for today. Another piece of art I did, based on the Final Fantasy 8 Siren summon. I know it is crowding my blog for today a little, but that's life. I hope you like it! Until next time,
Pez

No comments:

Post a Comment