Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fan Dance (Entry Extended)


Wow, I am so happy! I had my first Tai Chi class today, and Master Tang was very impressed. He said I learned quickly and could advance well. A few minor habits I have developed in myself to get rid of, but he taught me Tai Chi Fan and we got a good distance into a pattern. I got my breathing going and I was sweating like all hell. This is just what I need to get rid of some of my podge in my torso and chin. Mind you, my arms are gonna be very disproportionate. My right arm, which holds the fan, is getting more of a workout than my left so I will need to work out my left arm with some weights to even things out.

Morning.
Well, I gotta say that Tai Chi has been more useful than I thought. I did a 20 minute practice this morning after getting out of bed and stretching. I feel a lot better for my day ahead, despite a lot of aching muscles. I am definately looking forward to advancing my skills in Tai Chi Fan. Too bad I can only afford one class a fortnight, but for now that is enough to give me something to practice with. Because there is a lot to get right, like stance and foot positions, hand movements and positioning the fan. The routine I've learned so far, which is about 10-14 steps long, has a number of movements that can be difficult to weave together. But I have pretty much two weeks to put it together and give it smoothness and grace... and practice what has to be the most difficult squat positions.
Well, now that this blog is slightly longer, I will leave it at that. I might post a a youtube video of the Tai Chi I have learned when it is longer. Hell, I should post a video at all. Cheers,
Pez

No comments:

Post a Comment